There’s something for everyone this New Year in Exeter, says tourism manager Victoria Hatfield,
Victoria, who is Tourism Development Manager with Exeter city council, said there’s plenty to do from pantomime to sport.
She said: “This New Year in Exeter there are pantos galore, with each arts and cultural venue holding a panto for all.
“These include The Snail and the Whale at the Exeter Northcott Theatre, The Emperor's Perfume at Exeter Phoenix, Aladdin at Exeter Corn Exchange, The Last March at The Bike Shed Theatre and Sleeping Beauty at Exeter Barnfield Theatre.
“If your into watching sport, then again you are spoilt for choice. There's racing at Exeter Racecourse on January 1.
“There are two rugby games at Sandy Park; on December 29 Exeter Chiefs are at home to Bath and on January 5 they are at home to Northampton Saints. You can also watch Exeter Football Club on December 26 at home to Oxford United and on December 29 at home to Barnet.
“Why not tie this in with the annual Santa Dash on December 29 at 1pm, it starts from outside the Guildhall to St James Park. Fun for all the family - but make sure you book in advance so that you can pick up your Santa suit.
“The Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra are holding their New Year Viennese Gala on 3 Jan at The Great Hall on the Streatham Campus of the University of Exeter. Celebrate the New Year with Günther Bauer-Schenk and the BSO in style!
“Exeter Phoenix are holding a New Year’s Eve Party on December 31, from 8pm through to 4am. This will be the biggest South West drum and bass party this New Year.
“And don't forget to visit Exeter's very own 'Museum of the Year 2012', the Royal Albert Memorial Museum.
“ During Christmas and New Year RAMM are holding five exhibitions, it's free to visit so plan your visit with other events happening in Exeter - Warriors of the Plains: 200 years of Native North American honour and ritual, Life Through The Lens, Home Gods, Exeter's Fine Art Collection and Petal Power.”
And if that doesn’t whet the appetite for activities this New Year, we’ve picked out 10 highlights for things to do to see out 2012 and welcome in 2013.
- Vintage Inn – toast 2013 at a cosy country local. The Barn Owl in Exeter is offering a special menu for £35 per person on New Year’s Eve. The Barn Owl has been built from reclaimed materials salvaged from older buildings so there’s plenty to spark conversation if New Year Resolutions run out! Booking recommended and £5 deposit per person.
The Barn Owl, Guardian Road, Exeter Business Park, Exeter, EX1 3PE T: 01392 449011
- Extravaganza – head to Mama Stones for four hours of live music, all night DJ and a bar this New Year’s Eve for an Extravaganza featuring Johnny Mars headlining the evening. Also appearing will be Hannah Berney with both accompanied by Mama Stones House Band. There’s two prices - £35 with entry from 7.30pm including a glass of wine on entry and canapé buffet or £25 for entry form 9.30pm onwards. Plus the first 15 ticket holders to step forward can sign a song of their choice backed by the band. Dress code for December 31 is ‘Cool Cats, Blues Brothers and Diamond Divas’.
Mama Stones, Mary Arches Street, Exeter, EX4 3BA T: 01392 848485
- New Year break – Privately owned 16th century Elizabethan Country Manor, Combe House, which won the 2012 Most Romantic Hotel in UK & Ireland, is offering a special New Year country escape with celebration dinner. Featuring log fires and sparkling festive lights, it is offering a two night three day break from £362 per person for either December 30 and 31 or December 31 and January 1. The December 31 celebration dinner is open to non-residents with a party of four or more at £95 a head.
Combe House Devon, Gittisham, Nr Exeter, EX14 3AD T: 01404 540400
- Mouthwatering treat – A menu rich with delights is on the cards for those booking a New Year’s Eve dinner at the Exeter Court Hotel. The three course meal comes with a choice of starters, dinner and desserts and is finished off with coffee and petit fours. Cost is £29.95 per person.
Exeter Court Hotel, Kennford, Exeter, EX6 7UX T:01392 832121
- Casino night – The Globe is holding a casino night party with live music from The Embezzlers and a gourmet buffet at £30 a head. The recently restored 16th century coaching inn also has boutique style bedrooms for those wanting to stay over.
The Globe, Fore Street, Topsham, EX3 0HR T: 01392 873471
- Dance the night away – wave goodbye to 2012 and say hello to 2013 at The Arena in Exeter with what is promised to be a spectacular celebration. Resident DJs will be playing house, R’n’B, pop and classics as the countdown begins to next year. Tickets cost £5 and are available now.
The Arena, Summerland Street, Exeter, EX1 2AZ T: 01392 491419
- Party time – Described as The! New Year’s Eve Part; Exeter Phoenix is promising the biggest South West drum and bass party on December 31 from 8pm to 4am. Featuring a host of music across the auditorium, Voodoo Lounge and Marquee. Tehre’s also a silent disco, projections and chill out lounge. Tickets cost £19.
Exeter Phoenix, Bradninch Place, Gandy Street, Exeter, EX4 3LS T: Box Office 01392 667080
- Gala dinner – head for Abode Exeter for a gala dinner and you could even check in and stay overnight. Dinner in the banqueting suite includes a five course meal, gala ball casino and disco. Tickets £75 per person starting at 6.30pm.
Abode Exeter, Cathedral Yard, Exeter, EX1 1HD T: 01392 319955
- Berlin Philharmonic – The Berlin Philharmonic New Year’s Eve Gala 2012 will be live via satellite at the Picture House, Exeter. Featuring Cecilia Bartoli, Sir Simon Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra with a programme featuring Dvorak, Rameau, Handel and Hummel. It starts at 4.30pm.
Exeter Picturehouse, 51 Bartholomew Street West, Exeter, EX4 3AJ T: Box Office 0871 902 5730
- Morning after the night before - New Year’s Day Racing is on at Exeter Racecourse so why not have a flutter and enjoy jump racing . There’s packages available for a day at the races for The Haldon Premier Stand and Grandstand and Paddock Enclosure;.
Exeter Racecourse, Kennford, Exeter, EX6 7XS T: 01392 832599