At 10.42am this morning two appliances one from Danes Castle and one from Middlemoor were called to a report of a chemical leak in Heavitree Road, Exeter.
On arrival crews donned gas tight suits and breathing appratus to safety access the boiler room located in the basement of a swimming pool complex.
The Environment Unit was requested which was sent from Crediton with a support appliance.
Following advice from the hazmat officer using hazmat support kit the chemicals were indentified and downgraded and fire crew re entered the risk area in breathing appratus and gaunlets for final inspection.
A quantity of liquid leaking from an unknown source mixed with crystalised granules confirmed as chlorine. The incident was made safe.