Login Register

In Court: Cases heard at Central Devon Magistrates' Court

By Exeter Express and Echo  |  Posted: May 29, 2014

Steven Kelleher, 36, of Moyes Meadow, Okehampton, was fined £150 after being convicted of assaulting a woman on April 3.

Daniel Hawkins, 52, of Argyll Road, Exeter, was fined £2,206 after depositing controlled waste on November 2 in a public open space contrary to Section 33 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Kori Lilley, 18, of Queen Street, Linton, admitted harassing a woman by texting, Facebook messaging and attempting to call her between April 5 and 26. He was granted a restraining order prohibiting him from contacting the victim, either directly or indirectly. Lilley was also fined £100.

Benjamin Watkins, 31, of Tyrrell Mead, Sidmouth, admitted assaulting a woman by beating her on March 29. He was granted a restraining order prohibiting him from contacting her or her family and preventing him from entering the road on which she lives. He was also fined £150.

Mariwan Abdulrahman, 32, of Anson Road, Exmouth, was given a suspended 12-week prison sentence after inappropriate sexual contact of a girl under the age of 18, without consent, in Exmouth on December 4, 2013. He indicated a plea of guilty when he appeared before magistrates on March 28. The custody was granted because of the victim’s age and due to the incident occurring on public transport. The defendant must also comply with a supervision order for two years. He was also told to undertake 180 hours of unpaid work and fined £165. He will remain on the Sex Offenders register for seven years.

Alexandra Gwillim, 19, of Weston, Sidmouth, admitted driving a Vauxhall Corsa on the A375 at Gittisham Common without due care and attention. He was fined a total of £255 and had his license endorsed with four points.

Jake Warren, 20, of Bennett Square, Exeter, was banned from driving after allowing another man to use a motor vehicle without adequate insurance. Mr Warren was disqualified from holding a driving license for three days and fined £180.

Jamie Drew, 34, of Lolthany Drive, Beacon Heath, Exeter, was fined a total of £800 after committing a number of crimes. His original offence, on March 16, 2013, in Exeter was dishonestly leaving a filling station without having made a required payment of £40 for unleaded fuel. Then on April 8, 2013, in Exeter he dishonestly made-off without paying for diesel fuel costing £25.01. Also 14 July 14, 2013, in Exeter he did not pay for another £40 of unleaded fuel. He also failed without reasonable excuse to comply with the requirements of a community order made in November 29 by not attending appointments as instructed by a supervising officer.

Damien Filipek, 29, of New Street, Cullompton, was given a community order after committing two offences. He assaulted a woman by beating her in Tiverton on May 7, 2013. He then broke the terms of a previous community order by not attending unpaid work and not keeping in touch with his supervisor. The defendant was given a curfew for 12 weeks meaning he must remain at his address between the hours of 7pm to 5am. He was to be electronically monitored to ensure compliance with the curfew requirements.

Ricky Noakes, 20, of College View, Tiverton, was fined £100 after admitting breaching a community order by failing to attend unpaid work as required on April 3 and 7.

Egertons Recovery Group Ltd, Moss Lane, Cheshire, was fined a total of £1,413 after it admitted committing two offences. On October 26, 2013, the company used a goods vehicle in Sampford Peverell for carrying goods on the A361 when the license was restricted. On the same day the company used a vehicle on the A361 without paying the suitable rate of duty for carrying a type of vehicle.

Marie Adams, 40, of New Kingsley Road, Bristol, was found to have committed two offences at a Boots store in Tiverton on April 19. She stole cosmetics to the value of £47.95 and had a foil lined bag in connection with theft. She was given a community order requiring her to be under curfew for eight weeks from May 7 until July 2. She was told to remain at her home address between the hours of 7pm and 7am daily and the defendant was to be monitored with an electric tag to ensure compliance with the curfew.

Danny Cole, 27, of New Buildings, Broadclyst, was banned from driving after committing a number of driving-related offences. On April 19 on the B3181 at Broadclyst he drove a vehicle without adequate insurance, without a correct license, and after having consumed enough alcohol – namely 66mgs of alcohol in 100mls of breath – to exceed the prescribed legal limit. He was disqualified from driving for 18 months, reduced by 18 weeks subject to the completion of a course. He was also fined a total of £515.

Michael Pring, 27, of Bakers Hill, Brixham was fined £40 after stealing Lynx body spray, cheese, meat and Arial washing powder to the approximate value of £40 belonging to The Co-op on Buddle Lane, Exeter, on April 10.

Ronald Treagus, 29, of Acadia Road, Falmouth, was fined £15 after being found guilty of disorderly behaviour while drunk at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital in Exeter on April 18.

Kevin West, 44, of Butts Way, North Tawton, was fined £15 after stealing a total of eight cans of Special Brew, to the value of £16, belonging to The Co-op, Fore Street, Exeter on April 19.

Claire Harding, 43, of Wynford Road, Exeter, was fined £120 after entering a property between February 12 and 23. She was not allowed to enter because of an antisocial behaviour order.

James Callard, 22 of Buckerell, Honiton, unlawfully and maliciously wounded a person on November 23, 2013, in Exeter. The defendant was given a community order to do 200 hours of unpaid work over the next 12 months supervised by an officer. He was also fined a total of £345.

Read more from Exeter Express and Echo