Login Register

Decision due in bus death probe

By Exeter Express and Echo  |  Posted: November 22, 2012

Investigation: Peter Munro Davies died from head injuries after a collision with a bus in Alphington, Exeter

INVESTIGATIONS are continuing into an accident where a popular city man died after being involved in a collision with a bus.

Officers leading the probe say that a decision on whether to pursue criminal charges against the female bus driver will be made within a month. Any action will depend on the accident investigation report that they are expecting to receive "imminently."

Peter Munro-Davies was killed after crossing Church Road in Alphington near his home in Legion Way to catch a bus when he was hit by the Stagecoach bus.

He suffered serious head injuries and was taken to the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital. But he never regained consciousness and died from his injuries two days later.

Sgt Richard Newton of the serious investigation collisions unit at Devon and Cornwall Police, told the Echo this week that enquires were still on-going.

He said: "All witness evidence has been taken and we are now just waiting for the collision investigation report.

"This is imminent and based on what it says we will make a decision on whether we need to speak to the driver of the vehicle again.

"From the CCTV on the bus and from witnesses we have a good idea of the sequence of events but the accident report will give us an idea about how to appropriately proceed with the case.

"The decision will be made by us and the CPS after we have received this report. I anticipate this to be made within a month."

Stagecoach would not comment on whether the driver was still employed by the company. A spokesman added: "This matter is the subject of an ongoing police investigation with which we are fully co-operating."

Following his death, police issued an appeal for relatives of Mr Davies to come forward. They were able to trace a brother living in the Midlands but were unable to track down another brother who is understood to live in South Wales.

Mr Davies, who was 54 when he died in August this year, was well-known in the Alphington area, and was described by those who knew him as a "very caring and kind man." He was a regular at the Royal British Legion close to his home where staff described him as a "lovely man."

Read more from Exeter Express and Echo