Login Register

'Drunken cooking' is a risk to life, fire service says

By Exeter Express and Echo  |  Posted: December 14, 2013

Comments (0)

PARTY-goers put their lives at risk by falling asleep while food is left cooking after nights out, the fire service says.

Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service is encouraging revellers to buy a take away instead of preparing hot food when they return from parties this Christmas.

Area manager for the fire service, Phil Martin, said: “More than half of accidental fires during the Christmas period are started in the kitchen.

“We want to encourage people to get a take away rather than cooking at home after having a few drinks. There is the risk of putting on a pan to cook and falling asleep, so having a takeaway becomes the sensible choice.”

Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service’s advice is to take extra care with these six steps:

• If you haven’t already got one, install a smoke alarm and test it every week

• Take extra care in the kitchen - this is where most fires start

• Check your electrical appliances - turn them off and don’t overload sockets

• If you smoke, put cigarettes out properly

• Sleep safe - check everything in your home every bedtime

• Plan a safe escape - make sure you know how to get out of your home in an emergency

Further information on fire safety in licensed premises can be found on our website www.dsfire.gov.uk under ‘Safety at work and other places’ or on the Government's fire safety guide website, where the guides for various premises can be downloaded for free: https://www.gov.uk/workplace-fire-safety-your-responsibilities/fire-safety-advice-documents

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR