AN elderly lady had to be rescued after she lost control of her mobility scooter and fell into the canal.
The pensioner, who is thought to be in her 70s and live locally, ended up submerged in the water with the scooter on top of her.
It was her second day out on the scooter and was travelling along the tow path towards Double Locks, about one kilometre from the Quay, when the incident happened.
Thankfully two kayak instructors, Harry Newman and Jane Yeomans, from Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre were nearby with a group and managed to rescue her.
Harry has recalled the incident and urged people to take care when enjoying the water.
The 23-year-old has also issued an appeal to people not to throw the life rings, positioned at various points along the canal in case of emergency, into the water unnecessarily.
“We’d just put the group on the water and I was about to get in my boat when I heard a splash,” he said.
“I realised it wasn’t from my group and didn’t know if it was a dog or not, looked round and saw a red thing in the water about 20 – 30 meters along, which turned out to be a jacket.
“I ran over and the lady was trapped underneath the scooter, she was pretty panicked, her head was just out of the water.
“It was only about two feet deep at that point but there was no way she would have been able to get herself out.
“We both jumped in and while I got the scooter off her, Jane kept hold of her so she was safe.”
The instructors gave the lady a fleece to keep warm and she sustained no injuries in the incident.
“She was pretty shocked by what happened and just said she had lost control over the tarmac which was quite broken up at that point.”
The next day Harry helped rescue a golden retriever that was unable to get itself out of the water at the Quay.
“We’re on the water all the time so it’s inevitable that we will help out if there are incidences like this,” Harry added. “People need to make sure if they are letting their dogs swim they are able to get in and out safely.
“We have had instances where people have thrown the life rings into the water for no reason. You never know when you may need one, so we would urge people not to do this as they are for real emergencies.”