Login Register

Exeter City Ladies in cup semi-final

By Exeter Express and Echo  |  Posted: January 24, 2013

Comments (0)

EXETER City have made it to the semi-finals of the Devon Cup after a 3-2 win against Marine Academy Plymouth on Sunday.

The tie, which was postponed by a week, took place at the University of Exeter's Topsham Sports Ground, and was goalless at half-time despite the best efforts of Kirsty Caunter and Lola Garcia Sanchez.

However, the game kicked into gear after the interval as Natalie Shenton's persistence on the right-hand touchline paid off and her pin-point cross was turned in by the head of Tash Knapman to give City a 1-0 lead.

The advantage was short-lived though, as a loose ball in the Exeter box was hit home for 1-1.

But City captain Caunter re-established the Grecians' lead after picking up a deflected shot, driving into the box, and drilling a shot which the keeper could do nothing to stop.

Moments later, Caunter's pass released Knapman again, and she unselfishly squared for Garcia Sanchez to tap home unchallenged to make it 3-1.

The scoreline could have been extended when substitute Carla Staddon cut in from the left flank to unleash a strike, but it cannoned back off the inside of the post and into open play.

The wasted opportunity could have proved costly when City were pegged back with a well-struck effort from the edge of the area, but they saw out the victory to take one step closer to the final.

Having been beaten finalists in last year's tournament, City will be looking to finally lift the prize this season.

Only one match went ahead in the Westward Developments Devon League, with 10-player Budleigh & Bicton Robins losing 4-3 away against Plainmoor in Division One. Molly James, Celine White and Abby Yukon were on target.

With all Devon Cup ties postponed last Sunday, they take priority over league matches and have been rescheduled for this weekend.

Read more from Exeter Express and Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters