At 10.18pm last night, two appliances from Exeter Middlemoor and Exeter Danes Castle stations were called to Taunton Close, Alphington, Exeter, following reports of a fire.
Crews confirmed moderate smoke logging in a first floor flat, so set to work using two breathing apparatus wearers and one hose reel jet.
The gas board was requested to attend the incident as it was believed there was a gas leak at the property. Fire crews used a gas monitor and isolated the gas supply to the property as a precaution.
The fire involved materials in a first floor flat kitchen, which were smouldering on crews arrival.
One person was treated at the scene by ambulance personnel for possible smoke inhalation.