DATING back to about 1154 when it housed an assembly of monks of the order of St Augustine, The Priory is a Grade II listed detached house of enormous character.
The order of St Augustine was dissolved in 1539 and The Priory in Halberton has been a dwelling ever since, and is now listed as being of architectural or historical interest Grade II.
The interior provides spacious accommodation which, over recent years has been sympathetically modernised and restored to reflect the medieval nature of the house. There are many notable features including the elaborately carved oak beams in the dining room, with a design known as Glastonbury Thorn ascribed to the 13th century, and the board cross-passage entrance hall with slated flagged floor and plank and muntin screens.
The rooms on the ground floor include a large kitchen with an Aga, a beamed dining room, a drawing room with an open fireplace and glass covered well, a study and a delightful sitting room with a spiral staircase leading up to a home cinema. On the first floor are five bedrooms, all with beautifully fitted en-suite facilities and on the second floor are two further bedrooms and a bathroom.
To the rear of the house are the delightful, private gardens of about 0.9 acres which have been designed by the current owners to reflect how it would have been when it was a Priory: there is a cloister garden, a herb garden and a medieval court garden. There is also a converted, detached barn with kitchen and toilet facilities, which has been more recently used as a tea room but could equally be used as a games room or office.
The current owners have run a successful bed and breakfast business from the property, as well as offering teas, small conferencing facilities and Shakespeare on the Lawn. The property would also lend itself well as a wedding venue.
The Priory is being offered for sale by Seddons Estate Agents for £895,000. For more information or to arrange a viewing call 01884 253500.