Login Register

Man taken to hospital after fire at Stowey Arms, Exminster, near Exeter

By mike_byrne  |  Posted: January 03, 2013

Fireman

The fire broke out in the kitchen of the Stowey Arms, Exminster, at around 8.30am

Comments (0)

ONE man was taken to hospital after fire broke out at a pub near Exeter.

The fire broke out in the kitchen of the Stowey Arms, Exminster, at around 8.30am today and fire engines were sent from the Danes Castle and Middlemoor stations along with retained officers from the Topsham fire station with white watch commander Paul Vowden was in charge of the incident

The fire was found to be centred on an extractor fan in the kitchen and the injured man had suffered smoke inhalation and burns to his hands in an attempt to fight the fire.

Fireman Nigel Deasy said crews dealt with the fire using four  breathing apparatus sets, one hose reel, one main jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan.

He said: "The property was severely smoke logged with smoke issuing from the eaves and a thermal imaging camera equipment was used to  check the building.

"It appears the fire developed and its severity increased because the extractor fan was clogged with grease.

"We would like to take this opportunity to urge those with such fans to check for such build ups."

Read more from Exeter Express and Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • Devonfarmer  |  January 03 2013, 7:46PM

    Says a lot about their cleaning practices.

    Rate   2
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES