Login Register
 °

Police concerns over lap-dance club plan

By This is Exeter  |  Posted: April 25, 2009

Owner Ali Anvari outside the EX4 bar in Exeter's Fore Street GARETH WILLIAMS EE310708_GW02_04

Comments (0)

POLICE have raised concerns about plans to change a city bar into a lap-dancing club.

As previously revealed in the Echo, the EX4 bar, in Fore Street, wants to transform its top floor into a late-night lap-dancing and pole-dancing club called Eden Lounge.

The bar's owner has applied to Exeter City Council for a change in its license so it can hold erotic dancing — including private naked shows — and extend its hours until 3am at weekends.

The proposals have prompted concerns from police who said the current control and management of the bar is an issue.

Objections have also been received from local residents, businesses and the nearby Mint Methodist Church, in Fore Street.

John Bean, alcohol-related crime reduction officer for Devon and Cornwall police, said: "Our representation is mainly based upon crime and disorder issues which we've had at the premises.

"There have been a number of problems there recently.

"There are concerns about the premises and we are in close consultation with the owner and manager."

The Rev Andrew Sails, of the Mint Methodist Church, said the introduction of a lap-dancing club into the area would be a "dangerous and unwelcome" move.

In a letter of objection to the council, he said: "Our concern is that the introduction of lap dancing would tend to attract those who could use it as a cover for criminal aspects of the sex industry — including trafficking.

"It would also increase the risk that girls and women nearby would meet with unwelcome, intimidating and/or offensive attention and even physical attack."

Mark Honeysett, manager of Walkabout bar in Fore Street, has also objected to the lap dancing application because of noise.

But owner of EX4, Ali Anvari, insisted the club would be well managed with tight security.

He said: "We have had a meeting with the police about the plans. They wanted to see how the place is going to be run.

"We are aware that the police have had some concerns about the bar.

"We had a meeting with the superintendent about our buy-one-get-one-free offer, which they wanted us to stop, which we have now."

The plans are due to be discussed by the city council's licensing sub-committee on Wednesday.

Read more from Exeter Express and Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • Profile image for This is Exeter
    Alun Doble, exeter  |  April 29 2009, 2:12PM

    love it! lets have it!

  • Profile image for This is Exeter
    jane, home  |  April 25 2009, 11:54PM

    What about male lap dancers after equal rights and all that

  • Profile image for This is Exeter
    N, Exeter  |  April 25 2009, 7:40AM

    I'm not supporting this idea but some of the objections do seem a little feeble. Also, how come the police wanted EX4 to stop their buy 1 get 1 free offer yet the Mint pub, which is a only a short distance away is able to offer a 2 for 1 deal???

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

      Hot Jobs