Login Register

Teenage victim of vicious baseball attack left 'mentally scarred'

By Exeter Express and Echo  |  Posted: May 15, 2014

Luke Paterson and Jack Morris

Comments (0)

THE teenage victim of a vicious baseball bat attack in South Devon has been left 'mentally scarred', according to the police officer in charge of the case.

Two 18 year olds have been sent to a young offenders' institution after the assault at Kingsteignton in which the 16-year-old boy suffered nasty head and facial injuries.

DC Melanie Farran said the victim has now recovered physically, but has been 'mentally scarred' by the unprovoked attack.

A court heard how Luke Paterson and Jack Morris, both from Bovey Tracey, pulled into a retail park car park near Halfords and battered the victim and threatened him with a weapon on November 4 last year.

Related content

Paterson, of Bucks Close, and Morris, of Templer Place, both admitted causing grievous bodily harm to the youngster when they appeared at Exeter Crown Court.

Paterson admitted having a baseball bat as an offensive weapon and Morris having a BB imitation firearm with intent to cause fear.

Ashley Parnell, 19, of Brimley Vale, Bovey Tracey, admitted abetting the duo by driving them from the scene of the attack.

Paterson and Morris were both sent to a young offenders' institution for two years and Parnell was curfewed for six months and ordered to receive supervision.

DC Farran said: "We want to assure the public this was an isolated incident without any provocation.

"The victim was unknown to the offenders who together carried out a vicious unprovoked attack with the use of weapons.

"Following the incident there was public outrage and a lot of this was displayed using social media.

"An appeal went out from the police requesting this to be stopped in order a thorough investigation could be conducted.

"I would like to thank the public for taking the advice given and for their assistance into this investigation.

"This has resulted in the offenders being brought to justice through the correct channels and the two main offenders have both received custodial sentences and the third a community order."

Following the court hearing, the victim's father said: "As a family, we want to put this incident behind us.

"We are happy the individuals have been dealt with and justice has been served.

"We wish to thank all of the police officers involved in this investigation for their hard work and commitment to this case."

Read more from Exeter Express and Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters