Login Register

Update: Man in hospital after collision between lorry and digger leaves A30 near Exeter closed for seven hours

By Exeter Express and Echo  |  Posted: April 14, 2014

  • Traffic at a standstill on the a30 Exeter bound at Cheriton this morning - Picture by Stuart Tolley

Comments (0)

A serious collision on a busy road into Exeter has left one man in hospital and caused severe delays for motorists.

A section of the A30 in Devon was closed for seven hours early this morning and a man airlifted to hospital after what police described as a serious collision involving a digger and a lorry.

Emergency services were called to the A30 at Alphington at 7:35am today after reports of a collision between an Iveco lorry and a JCB digger on the east-bound carriageway between Tedburn St Mary and Fingle Glen.

Three fire appliances were mobilised two from Danes Castle and one from Chagford with the Heavy Rescue Vehicle from Middlemoor and found two people trapped in the lorry.

Related content

By 8:30am one man had been released from the digger by fire service and ambulance personnel, with one other man still trapped in the lorry.

Crews used hydraulic rescue equipment, small tools and heavy rescue equipment to free the man who was taken hospital by ambulance.

One male casualty was still trapped efforts still being made to release using hydraulic rescue equipment.

Crews used hydraulic rams, cutters and heavy rescue platform, acro props and small tools used.

The injuries suffered by one man in the lorry were thought to be serious so the Devon Air ambulance was called to the scene.

This forced the closure of both lanes of the A30.

The driver, who was conscious and breathing, was flown to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth.

A spokeswoman for Devon and Cornwall police said: "We believe the lorry driver's injuries are potentially serious, the road will be closed until at least midday.

By 10:30am traffic was backlogged 3-4 miles from Okehampton.

Recovery of the lorry was continuing at 10:55am and is ongoing, say police.

At 11:50am police said on lane of the A30 had been reopened but traffic is still taking a long time to filter through.

This afternoon police said the man's condition was stable and his injuries were non-life threatening.

The road was full reopened by 2:30pm with traffic still back-logged.

Read more from Exeter Express and Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters