HEAD chef at The Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, Rhys Jackson, has a great summer desert idea to share with Echo readers –Vanilla Crème Brûleé with summer berry compote.
This tasty desert is the perfect way to impress any dinner guest and with this step-by-step guide it shouldn't be too much effort either.
Ingredients for the Crème Brûlée
6 extra large egg yolks
375 ml thickened cream
1 vanilla pod
80g caster sugar
6 tbsp soft, brown sugar
6 ramekin or soufflé dishes
1. Gently heat cream, vanilla and sugar until just under the boil.
2. Whisk the egg yolks until thoroughly beaten.
3. Slowly temper the cream into the eggs, as to not scramble them.
4. Allow to cool slightly then transfer into a jug for pouring into the ramekins.
5. Place filled ramekins in an oven tray, and fill to just under the top of the ramekin with hot water.
6. Place in an oven at 120°C for approximately 40 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and take them out of the water – then place them on a cold tray.
8. Allow to cool and refrigerate for anything up to a day.
9. When you're ready to serve spread sugar evenly over the top and "burn" it with a blow torch until golden brown.
10. When the sugar has set and hardened, add the berry compote and serve.
Ingredients for the Berry Compote
5 Fresh strawberries
5 Fresh blackberries
5 fresh raspberries
30g of sugar
1. Mix together all the ingredients and gently bring to a boil.
2. Cool immediately.
3. Spoon small amount onto the corner of each brûleé.