Login Register

Win fully deserved, says Tiverton supremo Charlie Burt

By Mid Devon Gazette  |  Posted: February 19, 2013

Comments (0)

TIVERTON became the first side to beat St Ives in the league this season – and Charlie Burt says the 41-12 win didn't flatter them at all.

The win at Coronation Field, on the club's vice-presidents and sponsors day, closed the gap between the sides to just two points as they chase league leaders Teignmouth.

And delighted chairman of rugby Burt said the victory was fully deserved for his side against their visitors from the Duchy.

"We were just far too good for them and the scoreline didn't flatter us by any stretch," he said.

"We were 13-7 up at the half and we talked about the fact we were showing them too much respect because they are second in the table but we were better than them. We didn't want to show them too much respect, just the respect they deserved, and in the second half we upped the tempo and they couldn't live with it.

"They started to argue among themselves and lost their discipline a little bit."

Both sides had two players sent to the sin bin for offences at the breakdown and St Ives also had a man shown a straight red card in the final few minutes for an ugly tip tackle on Callum Stone.

And with star player Ceiron Thomas reportedly no longer involved with the Saints, Burt is keen to see how they respond to their first loss in the league.

"We played the team second in the league, who were unbeaten all season, and we were clearly the better side," he said. "In the last 10 minutes we ran them ragged.

"It will be interesting to see how St Ives react. Our boys are confident and we will try to keep on playing as well as we have been."

Tiverton got of to a good start and Jimmy Atkins kicked them into the lead with a penalty but the visitors responded with a converted try.

St Ives continued to attack but the home side defended well and then centres Sam Smith and Jeff Robinson led a counter-attack. Jack Sampson took a quick tap penalty and Robinson went under the posts for a try Atkins converted.

Straight from the restart, Tivvy went back on the attack and Atkins slotted a second penalty to make it 13-7.

The home side upped the pace in the second half, which saw Sampson catch the visitors napping as he took a quick line-out to himself and put Henry Frankpitt away on a 30-metre dash to the line, which Atkins slotting the extras.

The referee awarded a penalty try when Stone was taken out near the line, which Atkins converted, but St Ives pulled a try back. Tiverton crossed for two more tries in the last 10 minutes, with Stone helping put Smith over before Blake Lugg was driven over from a line-out. Atkins converted both.

Coach Dave Maddick said: "I'm really proud of the lads, the whole club was buzzing on Saturday.

"I won't be too worried if we don't go up this year, we'll just have another good go again next season. We've brought a lot of youngsters in this year – the second team won on Saturday with another lot of youngsters playing – and the club will grow over the next two to three seasons."

Tiverton seconds won 15-10 away against their Paignton counterparts.

The visitors took an early lead with a try by Ian Branton but turned around level at 5-5.

Johan van Wyck and Tom Franklin dotted down in the second half to secure the win.

Read more from Exeter Express and Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters