Login Register

Two stuck in lift and Christmas Kitchen fire as Devon Fire service kept busy on Christmas day

By Rich_Booth  |  Posted: December 25, 2012

Fire engine-1

Two stuck in lift and Christmas Kitchen fire as Devon Fire service kept busy on Christmas day

Comments (0)

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service have been kept busy on Christmas day dealing with over 14 incidents across the region.

Amongst those dealt with were two stuck in a lift in Newton Abbott after the Fire Service received a call reporting persons stuck in a lift on East Street. Two fire appliances from Newton Abbot attended at 4:51pm.

Fire crews released two children from the lift car, uninjured, using small tools.

The Fire Service also received a call reporting a kitchen fire at Palmerston Drive, Exwick, Exeter. One fire appliance from Danes Castle Exeter and one fire appliance from Middlemoor Exeter were mobilised.

Fire crews confirmed a small fire involving the cooker and adjacent flooring in a ground floor kitchen. The fire was extinguished by fire crews using small tools and a thermal image camera to identify and cut away any hot spots. The property was ventilated using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.

Another kitchen fire was dealt with in North Devon after an elderly woman 'burnt her duck legs in the over.'

Barnstaple fire fighter John Lilley told ThisIsNorthDevon: "An elderly woman who was living alone had burnt her duck legs in the oven.

"The fat had caught fire and the kitchen was full of smoke.

"We removed the grill pan from the oven and ventilated the property.

"The duck legs looked pretty well done once we'd got them out."

No one was injured.

Read more from Exeter Express and Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES